What is the course about?
This course will help you to identify some of the common mistakes you make when writing. Gain more confidence with your own writing as we learn about and practise areas of grammar and punctuation we use every day.
What will we cover?
Topics on the course include:
- Full stops, commas , semi colons and colons
- A basic understanding of word types i.e. nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs
- Sentence types
- Structure and sequence when writing and adding variety to your writing
- Active vs Passive voice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use punctuation such as full stops, semi colons and commas correctly in your writing
- Understand the different types of sentences, and use them to add variety to texts
- Recognise different parts of speech in order to identify errors and mistakes
- Structure and sequence your writing with greater confidence
- Proof read your own and other people’s writing with more confidence
- Use your knowledge of grammar and punctuation to communicate more effectively.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
If you are not confident with your professional, academic or creative writing skills, then this course could be for you. Ideally, this course is meant for native speakers of English working around Level 1 or Level 2. Please still complete the assessment if you are unsure if this applies to you.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each week you will learn about a new topic through exercises and explanation. You will work individually and in small groups. Outside of the class, you should work on your own writing, and bring in examples for feedback.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The tutor will provide relevant handouts and materials throughout the course. You will need a pen, pencil and some lined paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
When you successfully complete this course, the tutor will advise you on the next level you can progress to. General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library Monday to Friday. Do check its current opening hours when you visit.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details