What is the course about?
This course is aimed at intermediate level students singing classical repertoire or singers returning after a break, who can already sing confidently with piano accompaniment but who feel that they need a focus on technique to boost their singing and re-energise their practice sessions. On this short course you will spend focused time working on selected aspects of singing technique to help you to make better use of your instrument. Through exercises (physical and vocal), you will improve your vocal control and feel more confident with your singing.
What will we cover?
- Basic warm up exercises you can build into your regular practice
- Essential facts about the voice and its function
- Selected technical exercises to realign your instrument
- Applying vocal technique to repertoire
- Problem solving in your own practice sessions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- select appropriate warm-up activities to refresh your existing routine
- demonstrate a variety of vocal exercises with understanding of their function
- demonstrate a greater understanding of your own technical strengths and weaknesses
- demonstrate some new approaches to old problems with your singing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- Suitable for singers of intermediate level and above, who are able to learn music independently and have some knowledge of vocal technique
- Also ideal for singers returning after a long break
- Please bring a song/aria to sing with piano accompaniment: you will be asked to demonstrate passages to the class that you find challenging and the tutor will suggest exercises to help
- You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
If you are new to Build singing classes, please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes. You could also drop in to one of our advice sessions where we can hear you sing and help you choose the right course. Please bring a piece to sing with simple piano accompaniment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Sessions will in general focus on technique
Time will be allocated for a vocal/physical warm-up
Classes will take a workshop format.
Regular practice between classes is essential, as is loose/comfortable clothing. You will be given guidance on how to practice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- please bring copies of the song/aria you wish to sing (with piano accompaniment)
- you may wish to bring a sound-recorder to take note of some exercises suggested by the tutor
- a note-pad/pencil.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
At the end of this short-course you may wish to join one of the regular singing courses in our main programme. You may also wish to join the next Technical singing class. Please note, we also offer courses in sight-singing and music theory / musicianship which can also help different aspects of your singing development.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details