What is the course about?
A fun, practical workshop covering all the basic elements of flamenco song and dance. The course will cater for beginners and for more experienced dancers/singers.
What will we cover?
- the origins of this multi-cultural art form
- singing a short flamenco song in Spanish
- clapping flamenco rhythms
- jaleos, the typical flamenco calls of encouragement
- the typical flamenco posture, steps and style of dance
- combingin the elements into a group performance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- sing a short flamenco song in Spanish (with translation and Spanish language coaching)
- clap in rhythm
- call out jaleos
- dance, embodying typical flamenco posture, steps and style
- combine all the above elements to produce a mini-performance at the end of the day.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a mixed-level workshop, suitable for all levels from beginner to experienced. Be prepared to sing, clap, dance and throw yourself into the flamenco with energy.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical workshop, with feedback from the tutor throughout.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may wish to wear typical flamenco-style clothing: long loose skirts or close-fitting trousers.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer regular courses in Flamenco throughout the year, as well as courses in Spanish culture and language.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details