What is the course about?
This course aims to enable students to communicate effectively in Spanish while on holiday.
What will we cover?
Greetings, introductions, numbers and prices, ordering food and drinks, finding your way, at the hotel, using transport and asking the time, at the chemist, cultural topics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have a go at a simple conversation when you’re out & about-say hello & goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc.)
- buy items in shops, ask about prices
- order food & drinks & ask for the bill
- ask for directions
- use and recognise numbers
- asking for basic information at the hotel
- buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
- describe common symptoms at the chemist / at the doctor
- get cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café which may be different from the UK).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge required, suitable for complete beginners.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://bildutrapagaran.info/self-assess-your-level.
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Material provided by the teacher.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any beginners course in September. Please, call the Languages Department for advice: 020 7492 2644.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details