What is the course about?
It should be easy to get a good night’s sleep, shouldn’t it? And yet so many of us find ourselves with disturbed sleep, waking tired and lacking enthusiasm for the day ahead. This course will look at different research on sleep and offer ways to manage the sleeping hours more effectively so that you can awaken with zeal and enthusiasm, ready for what you experience during the day.
What will we cover?
- Different research into the sleep process
- How thoughts, feelings and attitudes about ourselves have a deep impact on our sleep
- How to prepare the conscious and subconscious mind for sleep
- How to develop a lifestyle that promotes a better night’s sleep.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- See patterns in your life that may be hindering you from getting the most out of your sleep
- Use researched material to help you prepare better for sleep
- Clear your mind of unwanted thoughts before going to sleep
- Use visualisation and meditation in preparing for sleep.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge is required. However, you need to be willing to participate in individual reflection, visualisation techniques and group discussions and activity. You will need a fluent level of spoken and written English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will include personal reflection, using different visualisation techniques, individual and group mind exercises as well as the input and experience of the tutor. In order to gain maximum benefit from the course it will be beneficial to practise suggestions given by the tutor and to select further reading from the reading list.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A paper journal will be provided. Please bring a pen. A recommended book list will be given at the end of the day.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer further personal development courses that complement this course, such as:
PG687 - Exploring your dreams
PG646 - Happiness, resilience and wellbeing using philosophy
PG649 - Creative visualisation.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details