What is the course about?
A chance to start exploring your voice in a fun, informal setting, to build confidence, develop your musical skills and learn some basic principles of healthy voice use. This is a group class and you will not be expected to sing solo although there may be opportunities for you to volunteer to sing one of the songs solo towards the end of the course. Tutor: Trevor Alexander .
What will we cover?
- Some basic vocal technique, e.g. breathing and posture and vocal warm-ups at an introductory level.
- Several songs in a range of styles, which may include some rounds and/or simple part-songs to develop musicianship.
- Singing rhythmically and in tune.
- There may be some basic music notation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Sing with more confidence
- Sing several new songs
- Sing with greater awareness of rhythm and intonation
- Have some understanding of healthy voice use.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous experience is needed, but you will need to be able to sing a note at the same pitch that is played or sung to you by the teacher. If you are not sure if you can do this please attend an informal drop-in music advice session . You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- The class will begin with physical and vocal warm-ups and exercises to promote healthy voice use.
- You will learn songs in a range of styles to develop confidence and musicianship.
- Some basic music notation may be covered, relating to the songs studied.
- The tutor will demonstrate vocal sounds for the class to copy.
- Singing will be mainly as a group, with some singing in smaller groups.
- You may be asked to do some practice – resources will be provided to help you with this.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a notebook, pen/pencil and a folder for keeping music etc.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City lit run a wide range of singing courses. It is advised that from this course you progress to our popular ‘Singing for beginners’ series starting in September. If you have some prior experience, however, your tutor may advise you to consider ‘Basic technique for singing: module 1’.
For more details about our vocal programme please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes. You could also drop in to one of our advice sessions where we can hear you sing and help you choose the right course. Please bring a piece to sing with simple piano accompaniment.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details