What is the course about?
You will learn how to communicate at basic level in spoken Japanese in everyday situations.
What will we cover?
Numbers, introducing yourself, your family, your colleagues. Basic useful expressions, asking the time, shopping, daily and weekly routine, holiday plans, practice of Hiragana.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Introduce yourself and greet people (names, nationalities and jobs)
- Ask the time (international) at an airport or in the street
- Shop: asking for prices, colours, etc.
- Talk about your daily routine, using days of the week and months, etc.
- Make yourself understood in various places (bank, college, hospital, etc.)
- Read Hiragana.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://bildutrapagaran.info/self-assess-your-level
You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook: Japanese for Busy People 1 ,Kana version, revised 3rd edition, Kodansha USA, (chapters 1-5)
Please try: Grant and Cutler at Foyles-www.foyles.co.uk/languages (020 7437 5660). We recommend learners wait until after the first lesson before buying the textbook.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese 1 fast-track module 2. Please enrol as soon as possible as spaces cannot be guaranteed.