What is the course about?
Tea is a drink which has wound its way into most cultures across the world as a staple of the household. Why is that do we think? What is this mysterious leaf and how can we truly appreciate its finer qualities?
Dip a toe into the world of tea with plenty of discussion, a spoonful of history, and interactive exercises to uncover the breadth of this drink and why we love it so. Brew up and sip your way through samples to learn the differences between the different types, and learn how they are made.
What will we cover?
• Brief introduction to the history of tea
• Tea culture
• Difference between various tea types
• How tea is made
• How to brew the perfect cuppa
• Sampling some tea.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Appreciate the diverse history of tea
• Understand the differences between the key tea types
• Understand how tea is made
• Have thought more in depth about the wide spread culture and significance of tea
• Understand how the tea professionals brew their tea
• Enjoy tea with a more mindful attitude
• See tea in a new light.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introduction level, no prior knowledge will be expected. We will need to know if you have any allergies beforehand.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a series of exercises in an interactive way with pair and group discussion. No work outside class as a stand-alone workshop.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. If you can remember, please bring your favourite tea and/or tea accessory (strainer etc).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details