What is the course about?
Adobe InDesign is the key desktop publishing software used to create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines and books. In this stage 1 course you will learn how to plan and design a publication, construct simple advertisments and layout a multi-column page.This course is taught on Apple Mac.
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Mac computer and its operating system
- Introduction to InDesign for print production
- Introduction to key desktop publishing (DTP) concepts and terms
- Setting up a single-page document
- Basic text formatting
- Inserting text in a frame
- Working with colour
- Placing text set in a word processing program, and placing images
- How to plan and design a publication
- Setting up a multi-page document
- Basic introduction to master pages and styles
- Wrapping text around images and objects
- Exporting a document for print.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Construct simple advertisements
- Layout a multi column page
- Identify and place correct image file formats for print.
- Apply text formatting and create save and apply a Paragraph Style
- Wrap text around an object
- Export a basic pdf for print
- Package work to archive it for future use.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners to InDesign. You should be familiar with the basics of computing, although this does not need to be on Apple Macs. You should be able to work confidently with the keyboard and mouse in either a word processing or a creative software program. You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer. Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes. Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be useful to bring a USB memory stick. Notes are provided. Computers are provided for each student.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in CID24 InDesign stage 2, VK331 Build Pro: An introduction to Adobe InDesign for publishing. You can complement your skills in a range of courses in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Graphic design.