What is the course about?
On this fun practical short course you will learn about the styles and use of contemporary and past caricatures, develop a range of traditional and digital drawing techniques and create engaging caricatures of real people.
What will we cover?
- Different styles of caricatures from famous cartoonists.
- Realistically rendering the face
- Simplification, exaggeration and distortion of facial features
- Expression and feeling through posture
- Scanning and painting images in Photoshop
- Capturing personality in your caricatures.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- be aware of a range of caricaturing styles from famous cartoonists
- draw simple realistic faces
- exaggerate facial features to emphasise emotion and personality
- exaggerate posture to emphasise emotion and personality
- scan and paint images using basic tools in Photoshop cc.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is an introductory course but will also benefit those with experience in drawing comics or cartoons.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. You will be encouraged to develop your work further between classes. Please note the Build uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided. You may wish to bring your own set of fine tip black pens and a notepad for developing ideas.It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive for storing your digital work – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your skills and interest in Cartooning through a range of courses at the Build in cartooning, illustration, Photoshop and animation.
You can find the outlines of courses available by entering the subject you’re interested in in the search box of the Build website at http://bildutrapagaran.info/courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details