What is the course about?
This course is taught by a professional caricature artist who will introduce you to the use of caricatures in both contemporary and past cartooning practice. You will learn a range of traditional and digital drawing techniques to create engaging caricatures of real people.
What will we cover?
- Realistically rendering the face
- Simplification, exaggeration and distortion of facial features
- Caricaturing the whole body
- Capturing personality in your caricatures
- Scanning and digitally colouring your caricatures using Adobe Photoshop CC.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand how to draw and exaggerate facial features to emphasise emotion and personality
- Understand how to draw bodies in different poses to wittily caricature personality
- Scan work and import images into Adobe Photoshop CC Use layers in Adobe Photoshop CC
- Use brushes and simple paint tools to digitally colour your work.
- Save your work in the appropriate format.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is an introductory course but will also benefit those with experience in drawing comics or cartoons.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the Build uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided, and photos to work from in the first session. For subsequent sessions, please bring your own photos of your intended subjects, and any of your own favourite drawing materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your skills and interest in Cartooning through a range of courses at the Build in cartooning, illustration, Photoshop and animation.
You can find the outlines of courses available by entering the subject you’re interested in in the search box of the Build website at http://bildutrapagaran.info/courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details