What is the course about?
This course will give you an overview of how to stay safe while on your computer or on your smartphone, ensuring you protect your data and understand how others might be using or accessing it. We will focus on some key jargon and terminology e.g. cookies, cache, how to follow terms of agreement, clear your searches effectively, browse securely and use private browsing, back up your data and smartphone, update your apps, use anti-virus software and firewalls, and the rules for using the internet safely.
What will we cover?
• key jargon and terminology e.g. cookies, cache, and how to follow terms of agreement,
• clearing your searches effectively
• browsing securely and using private browsing
• backing up your data and smartphone
• updating your apps and identifying those apps which offer you the most protection e.g. though the most secure encrypting
• using anti-virus software and firewalls
• rules for using the internet safely.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
do most or all of the following:
• use key jargon and terminology e.g. cookies, cache, and follow terms of agreement,
• clear your searches effectively
• browse securely and use private browsing
• back up your data and smartphone
• update your apps and identify those apps which offer you the most protection e.g. though the most secure encrypting
• use anti-virus software and firewalls
• follow rules for using the Internet safely.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a general course for beginners though you will need to have some familiarity with Internet use, PCs and smartphones.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a relaxed and supportive learning environment. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in. There will be opportunities for hands-on practice and an interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring your own smartphone. Please also bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many other courses you could do at the same time or after this course. These include: WhatsApp what's that? Learning to use your smartphone (Android), Learning to use your iPhone, Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners. This latter course is part of our Complete Course for Beginners series. We recommend completing these courses to gain a good foundation in digital skills. Other parts of this programme are:
a) Becoming confident on your computer
b) Becoming confident on the Internet: setting up, searching, security, safety
c) Becoming confident with emails
d) Digital Skills Award: A Complete Course for Beginners. This last course is a qualification course.
We also run a range of introductory courses in Microsoft Office programs.
A more in-depth course on e-safety is available in the Business and Technology department and will be suitable for those who need to ensure data protection in the workplace.
Your tutor will advise you on the best course to do. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details