What is the course about?
Calling all chocoholics! How much do you really know about this amazing product that oh so easily vanishes once opened? Embrace becoming more of a chocolate connoisseur through this fun and interactive 1.5 hour class. Be taken through the background of it to truly understand it's journey and onto the most important part – tasting plenty of delectable samples!
What will we cover?
• The background to this magical substance: a brief history, why is it the ‘food of the gods’, some interesting facts you might not expect from your favourite treat.
• Be taken through how it is produced from bean to bar
• Answer some of those questions you might have always thought: is white chocolate really chocolate? Why is the cheaper stuff different to the more expensive? How do I store it properly?
• Then into the most fun part! Eating chocolates from the spectrum of different origins and types to compare and contrast.
• Get taught how to evaluate chocolate like the professional judges do.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Come away with a deeper appreciation for chocolate
• Understand more behind its roots, history and production methods
• Know how to eat chocolate like a professional and get the most from it
• Answer some questions you might have always pondered
• Roll away with a satisfied belly (no guarantees for not wanting more an hour later)!
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introduction level, no prior knowledge will be expected. We will need to know if you have any allergies beforehand.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a group with discussion, questions and group tasting. No work outside class, as it is a stand-alone workshop.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. It would be helpful to bring a bottle of water and eat a light savoury meal beforehand.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to attend one of the other courses taught by Natasha Blok including : sensory awareness and mindfulness with food and drink.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details