What is the course about?
This course will help you to become fully confident on the computer and Internet. You will learn how to manage different types of files and organise your work both on your PC and in the Cloud. You will become confident in using Windows and also learn how to troubleshootcommon problems with your computer. In addition, following on from recent events involving Facebook and data security, you will learn how to better protect your information and personal details and keep them secure. Finally. you will also explore how to make the most of free resources on the web including government and educational websites to enable you to become an informed and digitally active citizen.
What will we cover?
• Organising and managing a variety of files and folders on your hard drive and in the Cloud
• Navigating around Windows Operating System
• Troubleshooting common computer problems
• Keeping your data and personal information fully secure and backed up
• Accessing and using key government information, consumer and education websites such as Moocs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
* organise your files and folders efficiently on your hard drive and the Cloud to be able to work in an office
* find your way around Windows and customise your Windows desktop
* solve common technical problems and know where and how to look to find solutions
* create backup of important files using the Windows backup software
* be confident using the Cloud and identify its benefits
* create Cloud based accounts (optional)
* identify, access and make good use of important government, consumer and educational websites such as Moocs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at those who already have some basic familiarity with the computer - for example, those who have completed our Becoming Confident on your Computer - and want to improve these skills to become fully confident in computer and on-line practice.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic and creative course with lots of hands-on practice. Your tutor will guide you step by step and you will also be able to share your skills and questions with the class. It will be a supportive and welcoming environment.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do after this course including Making Sense of Windows 10, Becoming Confident with Emails, From Email to the Cloud, Digital Media for Parents, Digital Security: How to protect your data and privacy. In addition, we have many different courses on use of Microsoft Office programmes, plus a number of courses with an exam. Please ask your tutor for further advice and information.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details