What is the course about?
This course aims to encourage you to speak more freely in Spanish. It will help you develop your speaking and listening skills whilst reinforcing your confidence.
What will we cover?
The various topics covered will lead to discussion and a better understanding of Spain and Spanish speaking countries. These will be negotiated with the tutor according to students' needs at the beginning of the course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- initiate and participate in a conversation related to various topics
- express opinions and ideas and give your point of view
- interrupt, check details and ask precise questions when conversing
- analyse and summarise news items and opinions
- talk about contemporary Spanish and Latin-American cultures. It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: conditional, indirect and direct pronouns, hypothetical sentences, subjunctive, subordinate clauses and more complex conjunctions.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or at http://bildutrapagaran.info/self-assess-your-level.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable if you have studied Spanish for at least 4 years recently or have completed Spanish 4.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Spanish 5 courses in September. Ask your tutor for advice or contact the Languages Department on 020 7492 2644. Please enrol as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details