What is the course about?
Develop support for your singing voice. Develop your ability to improvise. Gain confidence to perform as a soloist or within a group. Work with a piano accompanist. Expand your repertoire of classic soul & blues tunes, and develop technical and musical skills.
What will we cover?
- Exploring repertoire and learning new songs
- Exploring the full range of your voice
- Understanding and expressing lyrics
- Study of rhythm in order to keep tempo steady and phrasing interesting
- Studying arrangements and harmony within the songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show that you have extended your vocal range and flexibility, expertise and confidence
- show that you have learned the value of listening and singing
- sing within a group and sing solo
- learn new repertoire and explore new areas of music
- know what and how to practise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be enthusuastic about the idiom of soul music and blues singing. Prior vocal training will be of advantage.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Warm-up activities, breathing exercises, technical vocal exercises, learning and sharing songs. Singing together in class, and solo presentation. Listening, giving and receiving constructive criticism. You will learn how to maintain songs in performance; choosing songs ; mic technique; song arrangement, counting, song interpretation.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Music materials will be supplied. You may record parts of the sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There is a range of rock, pop, soul and jazz singing courses to consider. Also classical singing training.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details