What is the course about?
A workshop for singers and singing-actors wanting to develop further their vocal technique and performance skills in the Music Theatre repertoire. Perform solo pieces with a professional accompanist and learn to select pieces which suit your voice.
What will we cover?
- Physical and vocal exercises and guidance on technique.
- Technical advice on the vocal qualities and musical styles for music theatre
- Broadening of individual repertoire and guidance on its suitability
- Communicating with an audience
- Help with constructive criticism in order to gain a better understanding of the voice.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform the studied songs to a reasonable standard and from memory;
- Choose appropriate repertoire;
- Understand the varying vocal demands for different styles;
- Demonstrate a broadened approach and show a better vocal technique for this type of repertoire.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have a relatively secure technique, an ability to learn new repertoire regularly and be confident singing in front of the class
A general understanding of musical notation is required.
To be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Time allowed for a vocal “warm up” and specific technical exercises
Practical workshop format with discussion arising out of work in progress and exchange of ideas.
There will be class songs chosen by the tutor but you will be expected to choose your own repertoire from a specified period. Work on the repertoire at home is essential and daily practice is expected.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Note book and pencil, sheet music as required and perhaps a course book if required. You are encouraged to acquire copies of music to be studied during the year.
Music may be purchased new or second-hand and/or available from local libraries. Westminster Central Music Library (Victoria) [external website] and the Barbican Music Library [external website] have comprehensive collections. Suitable scores may also be available from The International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP) [external website].
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sing music theatre workshop is available in our year-long programme of classes.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details