What is the course about?
This course will cover a range of solo songs and ensembles from popular Broadway shows, in a variety of styles. If you have a particular song you have started learning, or would like to learn, please bring this to the course. You will also learn new songs chosen by the tutor.
What will we cover?
- Major songs from popular shows, both solos and ensembles.
- How to sing with feeling for the style of the song and understanding of its place in the show.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform a Broadway show tune (solo, and in a group) with confidence and in character.
- Sing as part of group in harmony.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
From beginner to advanced, the course is open to anyone interested in singing and performing show songs.
You need to be able to sing in tune and in time, and to follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Each class will start with a physical and vocal warm up.
- You will learn through singing together and solo, with feedback from the tutor.
- You will need to be able to do some practice between the sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
If you have a song you wish to bring to the course, please provide two copies of the sheet music. The tutor will supply music for all other songs.
Please bring a notebook & pencil, and a folder for your music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We offer choral singing throughout the year: Choral singing for pleasure and Choir at lunchtime (multiple dates available, please check carefully before you book).
If you are interested in joining a solo singing class, or vocal technique class please contact the music office for advice.
For more details about our vocal programme please take a moment to read our blog: Choosing a singing class at City lit which lists our full sequence of singing classes. You could also drop in to one of our advice sessions where we can hear you sing and help you choose the right course. Please bring a piece to sing with simple piano accompaniment.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details