What is the course about?
Use Sibelius software to notate and arrange musical pieces, and to produce printed scores of a professional quality.
Build runs Sibelius 8, but you can export your files to other versions of Sibelius to work on at home.
You will be learning on Mac computers, but the software also runs on PCs and your files will be interchangeable between platforms.
What will we cover?
- Input notes using a MIDI and computer keyboard
- Graphic input of notes, symbols and text using the Sibelius on-screen toolkit
- Editing to correct mistakes
- Score layout and formatting
- Saving and exporting high quality scores.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play musical notes and phrases into Sibelius using a MIDI keyboard
- Input notes and other musical items using the Sibelius on-screen tools
- Use the edit functions within the program to refine and/ or correct the notation
- Choose and format score layouts in a variety of ways to suit different musical styles
- Save and print out high quality scores for instrumental and other performers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for musicians and music teachers looking for an introduction to Sibelius in order to prepare and print scores and other notation.
Good knowledge of conventional music notation and basic computer skills are required for this course.
You will need to be able to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor presentation and explanation
Class discussion and questions
Practical work on individual projects: you will work on an individual Mac workstation and receive feedback and advice from your tutor throughout the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Notepad, pen, own memory stick/storage device for saving work.
Ideally, you will have access to Sibelius software outside the class so that you can continue to practise and develop what you have learned on the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may also be interested in:
- developing your Sibelius skills further in Sibelius notation software: tips and tricks
- Music theory, Composition workshop, Studies in counterpoint, or Songwriting courses
- learning how to work with audio files through courses in GarageBand, Music production with Logic, or Mixing and music production techniques
- explore your creative side in Sonic Arts, Max/MSP, Ableton Live, Arduino workshop, Hidden sounds: exploring contact microphones
Go to the Music Technology and digital audio production page to see the full range of courses. For advice email the music office or phone us on (020) 7492 2630.
The Music department also offers a wide range of instrumental, singing, ensemble and musicianship courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details
Customer Reviews 1 item(s)Write a review
Reviews below are by students who have attended this course, regardless of the course teacher. Please be aware you may not be booking onto a course with the same teacher.
Very good, well worth it. A thoroughly-prepared course that explained the subject in simple terms and in easy stages that I could follow.
- Very good, well worth it. A thoroughly-prepared course that explained the subject in simple terms and in easy stages that I could follow.
- Tutor Biographies
We’re sorry. We don’t have a bio ready for the tutor of this class at the moment, but we’re working on it! Watch this space.