What is the course about?
This course explores different postures with an emphasis on how to improve your own posture based the Pilates method (a type of body conditioning that focuses on core muscles and good alignment). Most of the day is practically based and you will learn some basic Pilates moves that focus on building core strength, correcting muscle imbalances, encouraging good breathing techniques and relaxation. The course will cover a brief history of Pilates and some key principles of the Pilates method.
What will we cover?
• history of Pilates
• key principles of Pilates
• different posture types
• improving posture
• Understanding and correcting muscle imbalances.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• learn about the history of Pilates
• learn the key principles of Pilates
• Recognise different posture type
• Know how to improve posture
• Understand muscle imbalances
• learn exercises to help correct imbalanced posture.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable for all levels , including those new to the Pilates method.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Group work
• Pair work
• Printed hand outs
• Practical class work
• Following tutor demonstration
Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
• Explanations including visualisation
• Some one-to-one (hands on) guidance from the tutor.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. Suitable loose clothing should be worn which is easy to move in, such as a t-shirt and track suit bottoms.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details