What is the course about?
This course will provide you with the necessary background to be able to do ECDL Level 3. It will consolidate skills learned at level 2 and also prepare you for the challenging work of level 3. Areas we will focus on include: using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables, creating templates in Word; creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel; using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint. There will also be a brief introduction to Access including understanding key concepts in database development and usage.
What will we cover?
What will we cover?
Some of the areas covered will depend on the needs of the group but we will focus on:
• using mail merge tools, creating, manipulating and formatting tables and creating templates in Word
• creating, formatting and adjusting charts, using formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• using different slide layouts and applying slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understanding key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel sufficiently confident and competent to go ECDL level 3
• identify the areas you are most competent in and the areas you need to develop
• use mail merge tools, create, manipulate and format tables, and create templates in Word
• create, format and adjust charts, use formulae, functions and filtering in Excel
• use different slide layouts and apply slide designs using presets and templates in PowerPoint
• understand key concepts in database development and usage within Access.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a preparation course for ECDL Level 3. All students are expected to have a passed the ECDL level 2 course or have relevant experience. You are advised to come for interview and assessment if you are new to Build before enrolling on this course. If you need to develop your ESOL, English or Maths skills to enable you to get the most from this course, please contact the department.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. You will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in. Each student has their own computer. You will receive regular handouts and information via Google classroom so you can practise at home. You will need to do homework.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are advised to come for an advice and assessment session before doing this course. Otherwise,
please also bring a folder, pens and paper to class. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is a preparation for ECDL Level 3 both certificate and award but it can also be a stand alone course for those wanting to consolidate their skills. There are a variety of courses you can do either after this course or at the same time in addition to ECDL Level 3 These include our intermediate and advanced Microsoft Office courses specifically designed for the workplace. There are also a number of specialist Excel courses. Your tutor will advise you on the best course for you.You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details