What is the course about?
This course is for learners who are not sure whether they are ready to do a qualification course or at which level. On the course, you will learn to create and format documents in Word; create a simple spreadsheet in Excel; organise and manage documents; use some of the key features of Outlook; and examine some essential features of the Internet.
What will we cover?
• the fundamentals of computer use
• inserting text, numbers and images into a Word document.
• designing and inserting a table in Word
• entering information into a spreadsheet
• using functions and formulas to carry out simple calculations
• presenting this information in different ways, e.g. pie charts, bar charts and graphs
• saving and organising your documents
• introduction to email – key features of Outlook
• introduction to the Internet – making the most of it.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• decide which is the best qualification course to do next
• create short documents in Word
• save a document to a hard drive or USB or the cloud
• use editing techniques to improve your Word document
• create a simple spreadsheet in Excel to manage your weekly budget
• organise and find your digital work easily
• send and receive emails
• send an attachment with email
• search the web efficiently for specific information.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at learners who have some computer experience but lack confidence. You should be able to understand and follow spoken instructions; read, understand and follow written instructions and handouts.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. Each student has their own computer and you will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Along with your tutor, you can decide whether to do ECDL Level 1 award or the Level 2 certificate. There are other courses without exams you could do. We have a variety of courses on Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook – most of which are specifically designed to help you in the workplace. We have IT Skills for the Office: an introduction or intermediate plus Touch typing and keyboard skills and Making sense of Windows 10. Your tutor will advise you on the best course to do next. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details