What is the course about?
This course focuses on how you can use diet and nutrition to make the most of your mind, memory and mood, and how diet can influence the development of degenerative conditions such as memory loss.
What will we cover?
- Improving memory and concentration through diet
- How diet can influence the development of degenerative conditions such as dementia, Alzheimer’s and memory loss
- Causes of low mood and how to address them
- Nutrients needed for a healthy brain chemistry
- Key vitamins and minerals for brain function and how to include them in your diet
- Brain friendly fats
- How inflammation effects brain health
- Devising a diet to optimise brain function.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- List which foods and nutrients are important for healthy brain function
- List which foods are damaging to brain function
- Discuss the causes of mental degeneration
- Devise a diet which optimises brain function.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous experience is necessary: anyone interested in this subject is welcome on the course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will be via class discussion, PowerPoint presentations, worksheets, pair work, and lecture. This is a one day course so no homework will be given.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring pens and note paper. Hand-outs will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to attend one of the other courses taught by Ellie Holly at Build, including 'Vegan and Vegetarian vitality: a nutritional guide'; 'Manage the menopause with a healthy diet', or 'Sports nutrition'.