What is the course about?
Are you passionate about the health and wellbeing of yourself and your family? This one-day course is taught by a qualified nutritional therapist with extensive knowledge of current issues in food, nutrition and health. Join us to discover the positive steps you can take in order to improve your health and energy with small changes in your diet. Find out how to create a well-balanced and enjoyable daily menu, learn easy ways to include the recommended number of portions of fruit and vegetables and gain more knowledge about food related allergies. The course also provides an arena for discussing current ideas on controversial topics such as soya, antinutrients and much more.
What will we cover?
- The important factors involved in a good diet
- The detailed reasons for the recommended number of portions of fruit and vegetables
- What role do antioxidants play in your nutrition?
- What are acid/alkaline foods and why do you need to be able to differentiate between them?
- What can you eat to help overcome stress?
- Antinutrients and the confusion surrounding them
- The effects of caffeine, soya and aspartame on your well-being
- Common allergies caused by certain foods.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Obtain clarification on differing views on nutrition
- Identify factors involved in gaining a healthy diet
- Identify benefits/negative effects of a variety of foods
- Gain an insight into the use of supplements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is at an introductory level. You should be able to write lists, locate information using handouts, books, and the internet, listen and identify main points and participate in group discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through discussion, talk by tutor and group work. You will receive handouts on a variety of subjects and a reading list for further study.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Try one of the other nutrition related courses from the Health and Lifestyle programme at Build.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details