What is the course about?
An introduction to and exploration of the practice of mindfulness and how it supports and enhances creativity.
Through a variety of guided exercises, including drawing observation and the imagination, we will explore how mindfulness can help to support a light/playful, yet wholehearted engagement in creative practice. This course is suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in mindfulness and/or drawing who would like to immerse themselves in a day of creative practice or stimulate new directions. The skills offered on this one day workshop are transferable to creative disciplines other than drawing.
What will we cover?
During the day you will receive a full introduction to mindfulness and it’s applications in contemporary life and the arts. There will be a series of guided exercises including drawing from observation and the imagination where we will investigate ways of consciously cultivating awareness and identify how this can support creative discipline in terms of deepening concentration, resourcefulness, and clarity of perception. We will also explore some common obstacles to creativity and strategies for working through them. We will work with a range of drawing media and subject matter which will serve as inspiration throughout the day.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Identify how mindfulness can support creativity in terms of increased concentration, clarity of perception and a greater ability to work with and through obstacles
- Employ a range of methods for practicing mindfulness in drawing and how this can be applied to all creative disciplines
- Practice drawing from observation and the imagination with increased confidence
- Engage a toolkit of methods and resources for exploring and developing mindfulness and creativity.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- The course is suitable for beginners as well as those with experience in mindfulness and drawing who wish to re-fresh their practice or stimulate new directions
- You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through guided mindfulness practices and practical drawing tasks. One-to-one guidance is offered throughout the day. There will be opportunities for pair and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials are provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VP109: Drawing and the art of mindfulness.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details