What is the course about?
This course provides a practical introduction to the free, open-source [external website] software for musicians who wish to make a website to promote their work online. Taught through a series of worked examples, you will create a simple and effective website, including embedded audio, video and image content hosted on popular sites such as YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud.
What will we cover?
- The main features and functionality of Wordpress
- Downloading and applying themes to create a clear and stylish website in Wordpress
- Preparing documents, images, audio and video for the web and uploading them to suitable hosting sites
- How to embed your hosted work into your Wordpress site
- Ways of promoting your new website.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate a broad understanding of Wordpress software
- create a simple but effective website to host your work
- embed audio, video and images into your website
- apply technical and content-creation techniques to maximise your website’s visibility on search engines such as Google.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- This course requires an intermediate level of computer literacy on the Mac platform.
- You must be confident saving files to a USB memory device and accessing them from a computer
- You must be confident using internet seach tools such as google or bing to look for information online
- Taught in a computer-classroom, you will also need access to a computer outside class time to complete homework tasks. NB: Computers are available in the Build library; visit the Information Desk to book a time.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor presentation and explanation, including handouts
Guided tasks completed at individual mac workstations
Class discussion and debate
Listening and reading outside class is encouraged and the tutor will set tasks for homework.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a notebook and pen and a USB stick with examples of your work (e.g. PDF files, Sibelius scores, audio or video files, photos). You may wish to buy some of the books recommended in class.
You will need to create accounts on a number of websites in order to create your site and upload media content. We will only be using services that offer free options in this class; however some may offer paid versions which you may want to upgrade to.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Promoting your music online and/or Writing and blogging skills for musicians
Learn how to record, edit, mix and master your music in our Music technology courses, and or develop your practical skills through courses in instrumental playing, singing, ensemble and musicianship.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details