What is the course about?
This course will help you make the most of your iPhone. You will focus on from how to set up your new iPhone, how to transfer data from your old smartphone to your new one, how to set up mail, contacts, and calendars, how to use iMessage, FaceTime and your Camera, how to use Notes and how to download apps and games.
What will we cover?
• setting up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up wi-fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transferring data from your old phone
• setting up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• setting up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• setting up Google sync
• using iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• using FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• using your Camera including fast camera access, launching it with Siri, taking better photos and editing them
• creating new Notes, editing and deleting them, and adding photos to them
• downloading apps and games.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use your iPhone confidently and make the most of its main features
• set up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up wi-fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transfer data from your old phone
• set up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• set up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• set up Google sync
• use iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• use FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• use your Camera including fast camera access, launch it with Siri, take better photos and edit them
• create new Notes, edit and delete them, and add photos to them
• download apps and games.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for those who wish to improve their general digital literacy and in particular those looking to become more confident on their iphone – a computer in your pocket!
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a practical hands-on course. You will be encouraged to practise as much as possible. An interactive whiteboard will help make demonstrations easy to understand. It will be a relaxed learning environment and step by step learning will help you become more skilled. You will have lots of opportunities to ask questions and address areas you need help in.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring your own iphone. Please also bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
his course is part of our general digital skills programme. We recommend our Complete Course for Beginners seriesto gain a good foundation in digital skills. This programme includes:
a) Becoming confident on your computer
b) Becoming confident on the Internet: setting up, searching, security, safety
c) Becoming confident with emails and internet communication
c) Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
d) Becoming confident in file management on your PC
e) Becoming confident with mobile data: managing and syncing your files across your laptop, smartphone and tablet
f) Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and collaborating
An excellent follow-on course from these Beginner courses is A digital citizen: becoming MORE confident on your computer and the Internet is especially good if you have completed the initial Computer and Internet courses. Other good progression courses include: Level 1 ECDL award (with a qualification) and Digital skills to find a better job. We also run a range of introductory courses in Microsoft Office programs. Your tutor will advise you on the best course to do. You can also call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details