What is the course about?
This is the follow-on course to jazz singing 1, 2 and 3, also suitable for new students working at an equivalent level. This course is geared towards performance. We will study more advanced styles of jazz singing, song interpretation, solo presentation and relevant musicianship.
Tutor: Clare Foster
Accompanist: Gabriel Keen.
What will we cover?
- continued work on vocal technique
- ear training and music theory relevant to the demands of the repertoire
- ear training and music theory relevant to improvising
- learn repertoire including bebop and vocalese
- solo singing of jazz repertoire
- microphone technique and presentation skills
- scat : solo as an instrument.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate sound vocal technique
- source, adapt and learn appropriate repertoire for yourself
- sing solo to your class (and elsewhere…)
- communicate effectively with the accompanist/band
- use a microphone with confidence
- show better aural and theoretical understanding of music
- know your range and work out suitable keys for your songs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You are expected to have completed Jazz singing courses at levels 1, 2, 3. Otherwise you should demonstrate at audition equivalent experience and ability. You will have a good understanding of this kind of music, and a sound singing technique.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Student-centred group learning. Warm up together and technical exercises. Demonstrations by your tutor and accompanist, and/or sample cd's or internet. Solo performances with constructive criticism from your tutor and classmates. Sharing ideas and good practice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The tutor will provide songs for study, but in order to meet your own expectations you are encouraged to bring songs of your own choice. You will therefore need occasionally to buy or acquire sheet music. Please bring a machine to record elements of your class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Jazz vocal improvisation. Other jazz singing advanced courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details