What is the course about?
To produce a strong, expressive, supported singing voice. Learn about the style of jazz singing, and the associated musicianship and protocol. You will gain confidence in performance as a soloist or within a group, and build range, tone, flexibility and control in order to flow with the singing voice.
Tutor: Clare Foster
Accompanist: Gabriel Keen.
What will we cover?
- An introduction to jazz repertoire.
- Exploring the full range of the human voice.
- understanding and expressing lyrics.
- Phrasing and time feel - rhythmic security.
- Studying arrangements and harmony within the songs.
- Microphone technique.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- enjoy an expanded vocal range, greater expertise and confidence
- understand the value of listening and singing as a way of life
- work with a group or solo, and organise your repertoire
- understand and use the vocal qualities appropriate to jazz
- develop your musicianship relative to the demands of the repertoire.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need a basic vocal technique and understanding of music, a musical ear and good response to time, a desire to improvise, perform solo and work with a group of voices. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Warm-ups, breathing exercises, sharing songs. We will cover basic skills in order to maintain strong songs in performance: choosing the song; discussion; stage fright; mic techniques; arrangement, and musicianship. Daily practice should be established.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course tutor will supply music materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Jazz singing 2.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details