What is the course about?
This course is designed to introduce Adobe Illustrator as a tool for jewellery making using laser-cutting. It will take you through the basic software tools, and how they can be used to develop appropriate designs and produce files ready for cutting. You will also be introduced to the outsourcing process and practical considerations for digital manufacturing, material considerations and different applications, enabling you to troubleshoot your own design files.
What will we cover?
- Scanning and importing images and hand-drawings.
- Tracing images and drawings using the pen tool.
- Creating repeat patterns and nesting shapes.
- Software terminology such as artboards, layers, paths, vectors, RGB and CMYK.
- Setting up the artboard and paths specifically for laser-cutting.
- Considerations for digital manufacturing and outsourcing.
- Contextualising the use of the software in the industry.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Scan and import images and hand-drawings into the Illustrator workspace.
- Use layers and the pen tool to trace images and drawings.
- Create repeat patterns and nesting shapes to minimise material wastage during the cutting process.
- Recognise and use software terminology.
- Recognise how the software is used in industry.
- Create a file for laser cutting and troubleshoot potential issues.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is best suited to those with a practical knowledge of jewellery-making.. You should be confident with simple mathematics and accurate measurements, and have basic experience of using a computer. You do not need to have used Adobe Illustrator before.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Build provides all the equipment you need. It may be beneficial to download the free trial of Adobe Illustrator so that you are able to practise at home.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Build offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
The courses below might complement what you learned on this course:
VV427 Experimental Jewellery
VV606 Introduction to leather jewellery
VV860 Develop your jewellery design and making.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details