What is the course about?
This course provides a brief introduction to one of the most popular and widely-used general-purpose programming languages and is aimed at anyone who wants to get started with Java or who wants to learn a little about programming.
What will we cover?
-An Overview of Java
- What is Java?
- Compiled and Interpreted programming languages
- Downloading and installing Java
- Using the Java documentation
- The structure of a Java Class
- Using Java Classes
- Using variables
- Managing text with String operators
- Managing numbers with Math operators
- Writing to the screen
- Reading from the keyboard
- Making decision with the if and else statements
- while and for loops
- Using lists
- Creating, reading and writing text and binary files
- Dealing with syntax errors
- Handling problems with try/except/finally
- The Java class libraries
- An Introduction to Object-Orientated programming
- Defining objects and classes
- Methods and data.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
-Learn how to write Java code
-Using flow control structures
- Reading and writing files
- Handling errors and exceptions
- Working with the Java class libraries
- Explore object-oriented programming.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Java or programming is required, but you should have good general computing skills. You should be able to follow spoken instructions, read written instructions and information, and discuss work with your tutor in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course consists of discussions, demonstrations and activities. Guidance and support will be given throughout.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a pen and notepad for note taking.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any other programming courses at Build: Introduction to Python, Introduction to C#, Introduction to C++, Introduction to Unity 3D, Introduction to creative coding with Processing.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details