What is the course about?
Learn about accounting topics such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, accounting technology and accounting principles.
What will we cover?
-• The Nature and Objectives of Accounting Information
• Linking Double entry principles & Accounting
• Accounting Principles/Concepts underlying the preparation of accounts
• Balance Sheet/Position Statement. Categorise the assets and liabilities
• Calculating Depreciation using Straight Line Method, Reducing Balance Method
• The Income Statement or Profit and Loss Account
• Calculating Cost of Goods Sold.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify standard accounting concepts
• Apply balance sheet equation
• Prepare financial statements
• Use methods of calculating depreciation
• Calculate profit and loss
• Calculate the cost of goods sold.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to accounting, some knowledge of Bookkeeping would be helpful. Students should be able to understand basic mathematical calculations - add, subtract, multiply and divide. Students should also be able to read and understand written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be given exercises to complete outside of class time.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students can bring a calculator, pen and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to Sage Accounts,introduction to Sage Payroll or a short introduction to Bookkeeping.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details