What is the course about?
Adobe InDesign is the key desktop publishing software used to create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines and books. In this stage 1 course you will learn how to plan and design a publication, construct simple advertisments and layout a multi-column page.
This course is taught on Apple Mac.
What previous students liked most about this course: .
“Real-life examples of concepts we were learning. Gita is a very patient and helpful teacher. Flexibility in how we approach the exercises. Extra ‘homework’ we can take home to do and extend our skills.”
“The tutor (Gita) being from the industry and her great knowledge being passed on.”
“The tips and tricks and shortcuts to use are very helpful to learn things faster.”
“The pace of the course was excellent for the whole group. There was time to chat about design books and more theory related to design.”
“It was a wonderful atmosphere and the tutor was able to differentiate between different learners with different needs, while maintain a cohesive group.”
“The handouts were really clear. Gita is very patient and allowed the class to follow at their own pace.”
What will we cover?
- Introduction to the Mac computer and its operating system.
- Introduction to InDesign for print production.
- Introduction to key desktop publishing (DTP) concepts and terms.
- How to plan and design a publication.
- Setting up a single-page document.
- Basic text formatting.
- Placing text set in a word processing program, and placing image and graphics.
- Wrapping text around images and shapes and insetting text in a frame
- Setting up a multi-page document.
- Basic introduction to master pages, working with style sheets and working with colour.
- Exporting a document for print.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Construct simple advertisements.
- Layout a multi column page.
- Identify and place correct image file formats for print.
- Apply text formatting and create save and apply a Paragraph Style.
- Wrap text around an object
- Export a basic pdf for print
- Package work to archive it for future use.
What previous students have achieved on this course: .
“I learnt a lot. I had no idea of how to use InDesign at the start. I feel happy that I will be able to use it at university and that was my aim at the start.” MW
“I learned about adding and manipulating text, images and blocks of colour/shapes. Adding columns, styles, and formatting. Preparing for printing/ publishing – resolution, bleeds, gutters, etc.” JP
“I am able to create fliers, posters and simple booklets. I understand the importance of design theory.” ML
“The course has given me skills to practise independently and to progress further.” MR
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for beginners to InDesign. You should be familiar with the basics of computing, although this does not need
to be on Apple Macs. You should be able to work confidently with the keyboard and mouse in either a word
processing or a creative creative software program
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer.
Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes.
Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further in CID24 In design stage 2, VK331 Build Pro: An introduction to Adobe InDesign for publishing. You can compliment your skills in a range of courses in Photoshop, Illustrator, Graphic design.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details