What is the course about?
Discovering the pleasure of sharing the acting space with fellow players regardless of experience, creating the freedom to communicate confidently and effectively.
What will we cover?
• Theatre Games
• Essential improv skills such as listening, working spontaneously and freely with others
• Creating and exploring character and relationships
• Exploring and developing situations
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some
students may find challenging.
Please note that acting classes by their very nature can involve exercises and the exploration of material that some students may find challenging.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Confidently participate in improvisational games
• Work openly with other players
• Confidently contribute to the development of improvised scenes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
There are no particular skills required, however, in order to get the most from the course you will be able to:
• Listen and respond to instructions and feedback.
• Communicate clearly in discussion and drama practice.
• Give and receive constructive feedback.
• Work alone, within groups and in pairs safely.
• Take risks.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
As part of a whole group, in pairs and small groups, sometimes alone.
You may or may not be asked to participate in rigorous activity from time to time. Please consider whether you could do this, if you are in any doubt consult a medical practitioner.
As part of the course content, your tutor may record your image for initial and ongoing assessment purposes. You are entitled to decline to participate in the recording of your image.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Comfortable clothing for freedom of movement should be worn. No outdoor shoes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Improvisation for Improvers. Acting and physical skills classes.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to
Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details