What is the course about?
This hands-on HTML/CSS course provides knowledge in CSS position to build your own layout and how to apply it to create a responsive design. The course will also cover some advance CSS effects. You will get the skills needed to design a website from initial conception to the HTML/CSS layout.
What will we cover?
• CSS Positioning : Static, Relative, Absolute and Fixed
• Floats revision
• HTML relationships (hierarchy)
• Box model and HTML default tag behavior
• CSS Z Index and Centering
• Using Pseudo classes
• Using the Flexible Box CSS layout mode
• Using Media Queries
• Using multiple background
• CSS3 transitions
•CSS3 and Form design
•Create an example responsive website.
•Publish your website through a web server.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Apply Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to format your web pages including the Flexible Box CSS layout mode.
Position independently elements on the page using CSS.
Set formatting styles by using HTML relationships and CSS pseudo classes.
Apply CSS stacking order and centre attribute to HTML elements.
Apply CSS Media Queries to change the look of a page according to display size.
Use advance features such as CSS multiple background and transitions.
Use CSS3 to create a modern look to HTML forms.
Troubleshoot framework CSS.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at students with intermediate level of HTML5 & CSS.
You should have knowledge of :
• Basic HTML structure
• Basic CSS features such as applying colours, borders padding and margins.
• Using a simple Word Processor or text editor
You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions and add, subtract, multiply and divide.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Each student has their own computer.
• Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes.
• Step by step instruction/ demonstration and hands on exercises to practice HTML code and CSS syntax which will help you grasp all concepts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring a memory stick, pen and paper.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Students are free to ask the tutor for advice on related courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details