What is the course about?
Continue your flute training in this 3rd module of the year.
What will we cover?
- develop articulation - tonguing and slurring.
- read and play tunes
- develop skills in memorising and some improvising
- Developing musical phrasing, dynamics and expression.
- Extend your knowledge of music theory and musicianship.
- Expand your repertoire in different musical styles.
- Practise major and minor scales and arpeggios.
- Introduction to harmonics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate good flute technique
- articulate the notes by tonguing and slurring
- play two octaves of notes with good finger technique and a good sound
- read music and play rhythmically and in tune
- demonstrate improved musicianship
- have improved skills in listening, improvising, sight-reading and memorising
- play in performances.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need at least 6 month's study on the flute. You should be able to play with a steady sound at different dynamic levels, and know most notes, including sharps and flats, in the middle register. You can play major scales of G and F. You can read in the treble clef.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration and explanation by tutor.
Group work, playing in unison and in two and three parts
Playing individually and with backing tracks or piano accompaniment
Listening to flute recordings
To make progress you will need to practise regularly between classes, ideally at least 20 minutes on at least 4 days a week
Occasionally you will have small written assignments to complete outside of class
There will be an optional opportunity to perform to a group at the end of the module.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students need their own flute and cleaning accessories. Yamaha, Pearl, Trevor James, Jupiter, All Flutes Plus and Just Flutes are all good beginner brands. Here is some [external website]. Your tutor can also advise.
Please bring a notebook and pencil.
Some music will need to be bought / borrowed from a library. Please purchase Abracadabra Flute 3rd ed. (with backing tracks, c.£10), available from Just Flutes, All Flutes Plus, Top Wind or Amazon [external websites]. You will use this book throughout Level 1.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Flute 2 next academic year.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details