What is the course about?
With individual use of a Bernina sewing machine, the tutor will guide you through sewing techniques, to make a summer dress or party wear. Techniques to include:
- Overview to clothes making and sewing equipment
- Introduction to a domestic sewing machine
- Introduction to a domestic over locker
- Familiarize with silk, fine and luxury fabric
- How to cut out and use a dress pattern. You will be making simple summer dress or party wear
- How to sew basic seams for silk, fine and luxury fabric
- The perfect interfacing
- How to sew fastenings
- How to sew neatly with fine fabric
- How to sew a rolled hem.
What will we cover?
- Creating a simple summer dress from a commercial pattern
- Cutting out the chosen fabric
- Understanding Grain lines
- Inserting fastenings (optional)
- Machining a hem
- Pressing the garment
- Simple techniques & tips for a glamorous look.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Read & assemble a a dress from a commercial pattern using fine fabric.
- Cut out fabric correctly adhering to ‘grainlines’.
- Produce several samples techniques for different kind of fine fabrics
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to sew a simple dress with neat seams & hem techniques. Produce a finished glamorous dress without sleeves by using the above techniques.
More advanced learners will:
- Produce a dress with some embellishment techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable to those with some sewing experience, or for those that need to refresh their skills. You should be able to use measurements and understand verbal and written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic sewing equipment will be provided. You will need to buy fabric for your specific project and a pattern to suit your tastes. Guidance will be given in week one for purchasing the correct style of pattern, the correct type and quantity of fabric, matching threads and any specialist needles.
You will need to bring your purchased pattern and fabric to session two.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can continue to develop your sewing skills by following different projects on VX342 Sewing on Sundays: advanced, VX350 Fashion: garment construction for improvers or another fashion and textiles course such as VX327 make a leather satchel or VX311 Introduction to fashion sketchbook.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details