What is the course about?
This course is about learning how to build a financial model in Excel from scratch through the valuation process of a given company. This will be illustrated by an application analysis of a publicly traded company.
While this course will cover parts of Financial Statements Analysis, the focus will be on building the model in Excel.
What will we cover?
1) - Customising the settings in Excel to accommodate the Model.
• Creating new Format in the Worksheet: Numbers, Text, Font and Size.
• Exporting the Format to other Workbooks.
• Don’t use the mouse.
2) - Advanced excel Functions:
• Advanced Conditional Functions.
• The look up School (Advanced).
3) - Start building the model
• Reformulating and transcribing the Income statement in Excel.
• Reformulating and transcribing the Balance Sheet in Excel.
• Building the Cash Flow Statement in Excel.
• Scenario Analysis: Forecast & Valuation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of this course you should be able to build and share with colleagues a financial model that links up the three statements under different scenarios (e.g., expected economic growth). The model would return an estimated value of a company under each scenario.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
- Intermediate Excel
- Basic understanding of Financial reporting
If you don't have any experience in Financial reporting, we recommend that you attend the 'Introduction to financial reporting analysis' course first.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
No required work outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to VBA, Data analysis with Power BI, Excel: advanced.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details