What is the course about?
This course is about learning how to build a financial model in Excel from scratch through the valuation process of a given company. This will be illustrated by an application analysis of a publicly traded company.
While this course will cover parts of Financial Statements Analysis, the focus will be on building the model in excel.
What will we cover?
1. Customising the settings in Excel to accommodate the Model.
• Creating new Format in the Worksheet: Numbers, Text, Font and Size.
• Exporting the Format to other Workbooks.
• Don’t use the mouse.
2. Advanced excel Functions:
• Advanced Conditional Functions.
• The look up School (Advanced).
3. Start building the model
• Reformulating and transcribing the Income statement in Excel.
• Reformulating and transcribing the Balance Sheet in Excel.
• Building the Cash Flow Statement in Excel.
• Scenario Analysis: Forecast & Valuation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
By the end of this course you should be able to build and share with colleagues a financial model that links up the three statements under different scenarios (e.g. expected economic growth). The model would return an estimated value of a company under each scenario.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
• Intermediate Excel
• Basic understanding of Financial reporting.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
No required work outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to VBA, Data analysis with Power BI, Excel: advanced.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details