What is the course about?
Explore London and develop your skills in night and low-light-level photography through a series of five evening photography walks around familiar areas of London - The City, Theatreland, River Thames and Green Park, and Statues and Squares in the West End. An expert photographer will lead each walk and guide you through skills including recognising the optimum time of evening to shoot, understanding shutter speed and other manual camera settings, using different light sources, and capturing motion blur and light trails.
What will we cover?
- The basics of night and low-light-level photography
- Shutter speed settings and motion blur
- Using artificial and ambient light sources
- Working safely and legally on the streets
- Your photographic rights when photographing in public
- Aperture and shutter priority and manual functions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand your rights to take photographs in public
- choose an appropriate lens for your image
- demonstrate use of shutter speed movement to achieve different results, including motion blur and light trails
- recognise the optimum time to take night photography
- use aperture priority function to achieve maximum and minimum depth of field.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate level class. You should be able to operate the manual functions of your camera, and have an interest in architecture and the built environment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught via demonstrations and practical guidance during the course of short walks around London.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should bring camera, a tripod if you have one, and comfortable walking shoes. Build does have cameras and tripods you may borrow during lesson time if required.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Build runs over 70 different photography courses, from wedding and wildlife photography to darkroom processing and using software packages. You might also be interested in our range of architecture courses studying all sorts of themes of the London cityscape. Browse the Build website or prospectus to get inspired.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details