What is the course about?
You will be introduced to a world of embroidery and embellishment, and then choose and explore a concept or idea, through a series of demonstrations, hands on sampling and designing sessions.
You will be actively experimenting with embroidery and embellishment techniques using hand and machine methods. This course is suitable for people who are new to embroidery, textile artists, makers or designers who wish to embark on or enhance their portfolio and design thoughtful concept driven embellished and embroidered textiles.
What will we cover?
- Embroidery and embellishment techniques
- How to use inspiration from practicing artists and designers
- Research design and drawing skills
- Creating mood boards and sketchbooks
- Sampling, designing and creating a final sample.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Produce a body of embroidered and embellished work via research, development and design.
- Keep a visual record via sketchbooks and mood boards.
- Design and create a final sample, demonstrating a focused synthesis of all practical activities, that reflects a chosen subject, object or concept.
- Share individual creative practice through online platforms that may include social media, blogging or web portfolios.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for beginners who have an interest in stitched textiles as well as existing practitioners who wish to build upon their portfolio and enhance their current skills.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Within each session you will be set practical exercises, which are supported by demonstrations, discussions, and handouts.
You will be set weekly outside tasks that you are required to do in preparation for the following session.
Tutorials and feedback will take place individually, with small groups and with the group as a whole.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students should bring a sketchbook, notebook and drawing materials to each session.
It is advised that students to bring along a mobile device that has a camera function or a digital camera for recording and reflecting own work processes. Threads, fabric and embellishment materials will be required as the course progresses.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You might be interested in other textile courses at Build such as:
VX702 Textiles: constructing pattern, colouring cloth
VX195 Textiles and surface pattern: from drawing to digital print.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details