What is the course about?
Develop your communication skills and increase your personal effectiveness in the workplace. This course will include work on using the telephone, interview techniques, presentation skills and communicating in meetings.
What will we cover?
Students will identify issues related to stammering which adversely affect their effectiveness in the workplace. Areas covered will include using the telephone, communication in meetings, interview techniques and assertiveness skills in the workplace.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. Identify key assertive skills and practise these in workplace situations.
2. Use the telephone with increased confidence.
3. Participate more fully in meetings.
4. Draw on strategies to increase your effectiveness in meetings.
5. Draw on strategies to increase your effectiveness in interviews.
6. Draw on strategies to increase your effectiveness in presentations.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for people who stammer and who've ideally done some kind of speech work. It may be you've done a course at Build or a different kind of course. This course can still be relevant to you, regardless of the type of speech work you've completed so far. To access the course you will need to have an adequate level of English to:
- Express your opinions and feelings
- Follow discussions and make relevant contributions
- Make use of handouts with some assistance if necessary
Before joining the class you will need to speak to one of the Speech Therapy team.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
A variety of teaching methods will be used including: discussion, working in pairs/small groups, self exploration, demonstration, video feedback and practical exercises/role play. Handouts will be provided.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can do a Stage 1 evening course or one of our intensive courses if you haven't attended one previously. Alternatively you can do any of our Stage 2 courses including topic-based workshops.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details