What is the course about?
A series of exercises will be the basis for experimental studies, which will enable you to progress from drawing, using mark-making and colour, towards using watercolour paint. This is a good opportunity to explore several different drawing methods, in addition to watercolours, which will suit beginners to watercolour as well as those interested in combining and developing their drawing and painting.
What will we cover?
- There will be structured work with observational and intuitive drawing.
- Some work will be based on the cityscapes as seen from the Keeley Street building.
- As the course progresses, you will be encouraged to develop a more playful exploration of the materials and processes, and creative use of colour and form.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Gain confidence in both drawing and watercolour painting processes
- Explore colour through different contrasts
- Investigate mark-making in dry and fluid media
- Gain skills to progress further with either drawing or watercolour painting.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to drawing and watercolour painting, or for those who have some previous experience and would like to try a different approach. Also for students who are thinking of taking a longer course but unsure which would be suitable.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical exercises led by tutor, individual guidance & some group discussion. Optional homework will be set, and advice given on materials.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic drawing materials, and some watercolour paints are included in the fee.
Watercolour paper is available to purchase from the tutor at cost, and advice on materials will be given in the first session.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Various drawing or painting courses would be appropriate as a follow-up; such as
- VM863 Watercolour: intermediate and advanced
- VM842 Watercolour: developing your skills
- VM845/VM851 Watercolour: intermediate
- Your tutor will give individual advice as needed.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details