What is the course about?
The course helps you to identify the blocks to dealing with difficult people and explores strategies and skills for real-life problem situations. It will enable you to manage a range of personal and professional relationships more effectively, for example: staff you manage; internal and external customers; colleagues; managers; family and friends.
What will we cover?
- Strengthening self-beliefs: strategies to address our inner dialogue
- The use of language in conflict
- Verbal and non-verbal behaviours
- The ten commandments of feedback
- The Parent/Adult/Child model
- Dealing with emotion and diversionary tactics
- Skills practice: active listening, challenge and genuine questions
- The feedback planner: dealing with poor behaviour or performance at work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify and explore the effect of difficult behaviours in a variety of settings
- Practise the techniques associated with active listening and how to challenge
- Strengthen your own self-beliefs and confidence in dealing with conflict.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of the subject is required. Activities and practical exercises involve discussion and reflection, contributing to small and large groups.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a participative training involving discussion, individual self-assessment, practical exercises and role play in pairs, groups and in plenary. The trainer will provide information via lecture, PowerPoint presentation and handouts. Real life situations are explored in small groups throughout the sessions. The trainer will take a flexible approach, responding to group and individual needs whilst meeting course objectives.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pen and notebook with you. The trainer will provide plenty of handouts to support the course content and learning. No advance reading required.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Useful courses related to this are Beyond Conflict (PG682), Assertiveness (PA750), Bullying in the workplace (PS707) and Improve your Listening Skills (PS704).
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details