What is the course about?
Don’t consider yourself creative? Maybe feel like you have writer’s block? Or In an artistic rut? Release your doubts and reconnect with your inner child – choose to be playful. Make marks, make shapes, make tracks.
It is said “synesthetes are eight times more likely to work in a creative capacity.” What is a synesthete? Even if you’re not one, what can we learn from these creative souls such as those listed below?
• actors Geoffrey Rush and Marilyn Monroe
• singers Tori Amos and Pharrell Williams
• artists Van Gogh and David Hockney
• composers Sibellius and Liszt
• authors Joanne Harris and Nobel Laureate Orhan Pamuk
Use their secrets of using the senses to unlock your creative potential. Explore and play in the world around you and in your imagination. Elevate your awareness and explore new techniques to inspire and create.
What will we cover?
• We will introduce how to use different senses for different modes of creative output
• Explore smell, touch, taste, sound, sight as methods for inspiration
• Understand the importance of letting go, having a childlike attitude and what may hold us back
• Understand the importance of play and curiosity in creativity
• Experience an insight into the world of a synesthete (some of the most creative people out there).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Have a greater appreciation for the role senses play in our creative worlds
• Understand what a synesthete is and that there are different types
• Become equipped with some new games and techniques to inspire your creativity.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introduction level, no prior knowledge will be expected. We will need to know if you have any mobility issues or allergies beforehand either eaten, on your skin or inhaled.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a series of exercises and fun games to bring the senses to life in an interactive way using exercises in pairs, groups and discussion. No work outside class as a stand-alone workshop.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. If you can remember, please bring a notepad and any artistic materials you would like to. It will be helpful to wear comfortable clothing.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details