What is the course about?
This course is for students who are ready to develop their own ideas in painting, with reference to the work of contemporary artists and experimental processes. Students should have completed Painting 1 and Painting Continued or higher level courses such as the Build Fine Art course, Foundation course or equivalent level courses.
The emphasis will be on the process of development from idea /sketch to finished painting. Informed by contemporary art practice students will be encouraged to expand their approach to making a painting, using research, experimentation, layering of imagery, exploration of materials etc. We will explore different methods of painting with reference to a particular contemporary artist to see how this affects the imagery or contributes to the meaning of the work.
This course offers students higher level guidance with the freedom to explore their own ideas.
What will we cover?
- Source material and development of subject matter eg sketchbook ideas, working from photographs and projections.
- Experimenting with image making materials i.e. paint, drawing materials and mixing media and collage.
- Discussion of the visual language in painting
- Issues in contemporary painting.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a sketchbook/photograph as a research tool for a painting/artwork
- Expand and develop your initial visual ideas using a variety of art materials and processes
- Make a sustained painting or series of works over several weeks
- Develop your ability to make decisions about the development of your own work
- Use the work of current artists as a reference and influence on your own art practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No, but students must be at an advanced level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
There will be practical projects, individual guidance and encouragement, group discussion and examination of artists' work, including a gallery visit.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You need to bring a sketchbook full of ideas, and plans for your own art projects.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any of the advanced painting classes, including Art and Design Foundation, Build Fine Art course and Developing Fine Art Practice.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details