What is the course about?
We will play and learn complex arrangements which include parts that are technically challenging. Rehearsals will focus on section and ensemble playing, and interpretation. We aim to prepare for gigs.
What will we cover?
- Suitable arrangements for Big band from all sources
- Attention to improving our ensemble playing
- Taking solos within the body of an arrangement
- preparing and organising for performance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand how an ensemble of this size operates and rehearses
- Improve and maintain your sight-reading and ability to rehearse effectively
- Take part in performances
- Learn typical Big Band repertoire.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have a minimum of 10 years playing experience including some ensemble or small group playing, and an ability to sight read. Jazz education will be of advantage.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Lesson will be as for band rehearsals and will include playing warm-ups, section rehearsal, working on specific parts of arrangements and then play full play-throughs, as well as sight-unseen playing and improvising.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to stay in Build Bid Band 2, or join one of our Jazz Ensembles.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details