What is the course about?
This is an opportunity to practice Yoga sitting on a chair. There will be no requirement to sit or lie on a mat.
Most of each session you will be sitting and doing Yoga practices to release tight and tired muscles and some to increase strength and flexibility. A short part of the session includes standing and balancing postures using the support of the chair and using the chair to lengthen the back. You will learn breathing practices that will leave you in a more relaxed and energized state of being.
What will we cover?
- yoga postures and movements sitting on a chair to help relieve shoulder, neck and back tension
- using the chair as a support for strengthening the legs and balance
- breathing practices to enhance the breath and increase energy
- yoga mudras (hand gestures) for relaxation and body/breath awareness.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- improve your body awareness
- describe some benefits of yoga
- perform one breathing practice to enhance the breath
- demonstrate using the chair as a support for one standing posture
- demonstrate three yoga practices to improve flexibility and mobility.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous experience or knowledge is required. This class is suitable for all beginners regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will work at your own pace with some adaptation and modification suggested by the tutor according to your level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within the group.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- follow me demonstration and practice
- verbal instruction
- physical adjustment (optional)
- questions and answers
- mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All equipment will be provided. Please wear easy to move in clothing. Performing postures barefoot is encouraged but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Gentle or Beginners Yoga courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details