What is the course about?
Enjoy discovering what is involved in learning to play the cello in a friendly, supportive small group. This course is designed as an introduction to Cello level 1: module 1 starting in September.
What will we cover?
- how to hold the instrument and the bow
- how to use the bow correctly to make a good tone
- the open strings and basic fingering patterns
- simple tunes using a few notes
- the basics of music notation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- hold the instrument and bow correctly
- use the bow to make a good tone
- know the names of the open strings
- play a few simple tunes by ear and from notation.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for complete beginners. You need to be able to follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor demonstration and explanation
Playing in a group and individually
Learning by ear and from music notation.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your cello, a bow and a pencil. Other materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is an introduction to Cello level 1, starting in September.
You may also be interested in complementary classes from our wide range of Musicianship courses.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details