What is the course about?
This intensive structured course is an introduction to painting where you will progressively acquire skills starting with mixing and matching colour and progress to painting from observation. Through a range of painting exercises, you will learn to use colour and tone to create compositions from observation. This course will give you essential painting skills, enabling you to progress to further painting challenges.
What will we cover?
• How to organize a palette and materials
• The colour wheel
• Introduction to colour mixing using the Primary colours
• Observation of colour in light and shade (Tone)
• Application of Acrylic (or oil) paint and use of brushes
• A range of painting projects
• Observe and compare the work of selected painters.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Organize a palette and materials
• Understand use of the colour wheel
• Mix primary colours to achieve secondary and tertiary colours
• Use paint to describe the basics of tonal structure
• Gain confidence and skill in selecting, mixing and applying colour
• Compose a series of painted studies from observation
• Build awareness of selected painters and technique.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an essential painting course ideal for those with no experience or for students in a different visual art field wanting to improve their painting. This course is also suitable for those who would like to refresh existing painting skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
One to one tuition, group exercises, group discussion, question and answer and slide shows.
No compulsory homework will be set.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All basic painting materials are included in the cost.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off
everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VM513 Painting 1, VM519 Painting 2, VM930 Painting Club, VM640 Painting and the creative imagination.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details