What is the course about?
This is a course which will take you through the making of a painting from beginning studies to a final piece, considering the different stages involved. A variety of projects, working from both representation and abstraction, will develop your handling of the medium and build confidence in image-making with paint. You will be able to follow set painting projects and /or develop your own ideas in painting building upon the momentum in the studio.
What will we cover?
• making studies as an exploration of ideas,
• composition, subject matter and selection of imagery,
• colour palette,
• a variety of painting materials and techniques.
• development of paint and colour application
• looking and being focused
• critical and verbal skills through the discussion work
• building momentum to a final piece and evaluation of work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• have increased confidence selecting and developing subject matter and making compositions
• improve paint handling technique
• understand the process of developing a painting from start to finish.
• take the momentum from this course into new projects in your studio.
• discuss painting with confidence and appropriate vocabulary.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Though some experience with painting or drawing will be helpful, this course is ideal for all levels of practice, including beginners. This course will provide an intensive week of evenings painting in the studio. Painters and non-painters welcome.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will consist of in-class digital presentations followed by class discussions and assignments. Handouts and demonstrations will accompany visual presentations. Individual practical projects will encourage creative thinking and problem solving. Group critiques and discussions will help broaden vocabulary while bringing more confidence when talking about art. One-on-one tuition will be a major factor in developing your own specific artwork and practice. Out of class research and development of projects might be required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided by Build, however if students want to purchase their own materials they will be supported to do so. Students are welcome at any level and the course instructor will make accommodations for beginners and advanced students.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, Build students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details