What is the course about?
Learn to make a bezel setting for a cabochon stone* and a tube setting for a faceted stone* by following set projects. Through these techniques you will learn or improve on your basic metal working skills such as cutting, filing, annealing, soldering and finishing to a good standard.
Copper and imitation stones are provided to practice with. An introduction to London’s Jewellery Quarter will be given to those who wish to purchase precious metal and gemstones to create their own designs in the second part of the course.
What will we cover?
- Cutting, filing, forming, sanding and polishing metal
- Silver soldering and annealing
- Working to the size and shape of a stone
- Making a piece of jewellery
- Hatton Garden (London’s Jewellery Quarter), hallmarking, purchasing metal, tools and gemstones.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Cut, file, anneal, form and sand metal
- Silver solder with guidance from your tutor
- make a setting and set a stone
- Drill and polish using machinery
- Work safely observing Health & Safety best practice
- Make at least 1 piece of jewellery of your own design.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for complete beginners as well as those with some experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Copper sheet and wire are provided in reasonable quantities. You will be shown how to buy gemstones and silver to
create a piece of your own design. The cost will depend on the type of stone and size of your piece, but generally
the cost for a small ring with a stone is £5-£10.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Build offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
The courses below might complement what you learned on this course:
VV399 Beginners Jewellery III
VV987 Introduction to enamelling
VV656 Coloured resin jewellery: a masterclass with Kathie M.
General information and advice on courses at Build is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details